Requirements for Transit Visa
Nationals of countries with Visa Exemption Agreements with Japan are not required to have a Transit Visa.
A Transit Visa is issued for persons who stop over in Japan en-route to another country.
Activities are limited to sightseeing, leisure, and rest. No business activity is allowed. Neither change of the visa status nor extension of stay is permitted.
The following documents must be submitted when applying for a Transit Visa:
- Applicant's valid passport, properly signed by bearer.
- A completed and signed visa application form. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices or downloadable here.
- A photo (2"x2" front view, white background and within the last 6 months) attached to application form.
- A record of the reservation with flight itinerary printed on official stationary of the airline company or a reliable travel agency, showing travel to/from Japan, including passenger's names, dates, flight numbers and all departure/destination cities. Some documents provided by the authority to explain your flight schedule in and out of Japan if you fly with a military air craft.
For those with non-revenue ticket holders: A copy of the employee ID of the airline employee who obtained the flight coupon is required.
* Please Note: We are not responsible for tickets which are unusable due to delay or denial of visa.
- Visa for the next destination country (if required) to be visited after Japan must already be in the passport at the time of application.
- If stay in Japan exceeds one night: Proof of sufficient funds (e.g. most recent US bank statement etc.), confirmation of hotel reservation, etc.
- Copies of Green Card, valid US Visa and I-94, Authorization of the Advanced Parole, updated 1-20 or DS2019. Please note that in principle we do not accept an application from B-1 and B-2 U.S.visa holders.
- Visa Fee: $1.00 for Indian citizens; $6.00 for other nationals
We accept cash. Please pay the EXACT amount. Neither checks nor credit cards are accepted. No visa fee is required for citizens of US, Philippines, or Malaysia. Visa fees may change every April.
The time to process an application for a Transit Visa depends on the applicant's circumstances. In most cases, it takes 3 - 5 working days if the documentation is in order. Please note that a visa can not be issued within same day you submitted due to the processing procedure.
Applications by Mail
Visa applications must be submitted in person. (※Please note the processing time.) However, those who reside in a remote area can apply for a visa by mail. In this case, a self-addressed stamped envelope for Certified, Priority, and Express Mail or a prepaid mailing label with an envelope for FedEx Express or UPS Express must be submitted for return. Please include a signed Release of Liability Form (Click here). NOTE: We ship only to addresses within our jurisdiction.
The Consulate General of Japan is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss when sending through the mailing service for return.