Visa for Work & Long Term Stay
(Applications With a Certificate of Eligibility)
Please be aware that we will decline applications that have incomplete documentation.
Each applicant must submit the following documents:
- An application form completed and signed. Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices or you may use the downloadable Visa Application Form. Chinese and Korean citizens must write their names in Chinese characters as well as in Roman letters.
Note: The application form must be filled out completely. For example, if the applicant has no criminal record, please write "none" on the appropriate line.
An applicant with arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and /or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. In the event that there was no trial please bring a letter that explains in detail, the circumstances surrounding the arrest.
- Valid passport with sufficient space for a visa (at least one full empty visa page). If, instead of a national passport, you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES, or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.
- A 2"x2" square photograph, taken within six months of application, attached to the application form. This photo must be glued to the application form.
NOTE: GLUE ONLY, please do not staple or tape.
- For Non-U.S. citizens, Green Card or valid I-94 and U.S. resident visa (F or J visa holder must bring an I-20 or DS-2019 plus one copy). Please note that in principle we do not accept an application from B-1 and B-2 U.S.visa holders.
- Certificate of Eligibility, original and one photocopy
Note: Applicant for "Dependent Status", if the primary person already resides in Japan, please submit two copies of the primary person's Alien Registration Card and two copies of passport; include page with visas and immigration stamps.
Certificate of Eligibility
For information about the Certificate of Eligibility, please see the Immigration Procedures Guidebook. Questions about how to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility can be submitted through the local Immigration office.
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. See visa fees here.
In the case of an application with a Certificate of Eligibility, it usually takes 2 to 3 business working days to process an application. Please note that a visa can not be issued within same day you submitted due to the processing procedure.
Applications by Mail
Visa applications must be submitted in person. (※Please note the processing time.) However, those who reside in a remote area can apply for a visa by mail. In this case, a self-addressed stamped envelope for Certified, Priority, and Express Mail or a prepaid mailing label with an envelope for FedEx or UPS must be submitted for return. Please include a signed Release of Liability Form (Click here). NOTE: We ship only to addresses within our jurisdiction.
The Consulate General of Japan is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss when sending through the mailing service for return.