Visa for Work & Long Term Stay
(Applications With a Certificate of Eligibility)
Please be aware that we will decline applications that have incomplete documentation.
Each applicant must submit the following documents:
- An application form completed and signed. NOTE: Please do not staple the application form.
Blank forms are available at Japanese consular offices or you may use the downloadable Visa Application Form. Chinese and Korean citizens must write their names in Chinese characters as well as in Roman letters. NOTE: The application form must be filled out completely. For example, if the applicant has no criminal record, please write "none" on the appropriate line.
An applicant with arrest or criminal record must provide a copy of his/her court and /or arrest record (including cases that ended with an acquittal or pardon), along with an English translation of those documents if they are in any language other than English. In the event that there was no trial please bring a letter that explains in detail, the circumstances surrounding the arrest.
- Valid passport with sufficient space for a visa (at least one full empty visa page). If, instead of a national passport, you submit a PERMIT TO REENTER THE UNITED STATES, or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.
- A 2"x2" square photograph, taken within six months of application, attached to the application form. This photo must be glued to the application form.
NOTE: GLUE ONLY, please do not staple or tape.
- For Non-U.S. citizens, Permanent Residency (Green) Card or valid I-94 and Valid U.S. Visa to re-enter the United States (F or J visa holder must show an I-20 or DS-2019 with the valid signature of an appropriate official in order for re-entry, L and H1B visa holder need an I-797) etc. Please note that in principle we do not accept an application from B-1 and B-2 U.S.visa holders.
- Certificate of Eligibility, original and one photocopy
Note: Applicant for "Dependent Status", if the primary person already resides in Japan, please take a look at -"To foreign nationals who newly enter Japan after July 9, 2012"
Certificate of Eligibility
For information about the Certificate of Eligibility, please see the Immigration Procedures Guidebook. Questions about how to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility can be submitted through the local Immigration office.
Visa fees are determined according to reciprocal arrangements between Japan and the country of the applicant's nationality. See visa fees here.
The standard processing period is five working days from the day after the date of the acceptance of application. However, if any kind of checking is required (the submission of additional documents, an interview with the applicant, inquiries, etc.), or if a visa application is made for the purpose of a long-term stay without a Certificate of Eligibility, etc., the examination may take longer than five working days (from several weeks to several months). Therefore, it is recommended that you make the application well before the scheduled date of departure.
Applications by Mail
Visa applications must be submitted in person. (※Please note the processing time.) However, those who are living in a location 100 miles away from our office within our jurisdiction can apply for a visa by mail. In this case, a self-addressed stamped envelope for Certified, Priority, and Express Mail or a prepaid mailing label with an envelope for FedEx Express or UPS Express must be submitted for return. Please include a signed Release of Liability Form (Click here). NOTE: We ship only to addresses within our jurisdiction.