Employment Opportunities at the Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta
- POLITICAL ADVISOR
The Consulate-General of Japan in Atlanta is an overseas establishment of the Government of Japan that works to protect Japanese nationals, provide consular services, and promote exchange between Japan and the people of the Southeast U.S. at all levels and across all sectors (political, economic, cultural, etc.). The jurisdiction of the Consulate is Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
As part of its mission to promote exchange and best understand the politics of the Southeast region, the Consulate is seeking a Political Advisor. This is an independent contractor local staff position, and as such is open to U.S. citizens and U.S. green card holders only. The position is based in Atlanta and operates from 9a.m. to 5p.m. Monday through Friday, though occasional paid overtime may be required on nights and weekends. The position offers a competitive salary as well as healthcare coverage and generous personal leave.
- Advocate for the Government of Japan and its interests in the Southeast United States.
- Advise Consulate staff on how the Government of Japan can best understand and navigate the political landscape.
- Research political news and trends, elections, and legislation.
- Represent the Government of Japan at official Consulate functions or events attended by Consulate staff.
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners including in government, politics, and military at the local, state, and federal level.
- Write and edit speeches and correspondence for senior diplomatic staff.
- Organize and implement special events put on by the Consulate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Economics, International Affairs, Journalism, History, Asian Studies, or a related field.
- Strong understanding of the political landscape of the Southeast (Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English.
- An understanding of Japan’s position in the international system, the country’s politics (as they relate to international affairs), the alliance between Japan and the United States, and ongoing historical issues.
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, Economics, International Affairs, Journalism, History, Asian Studies, or a related field. Law degree is also welcomed.
- An understanding of Japanese culture and customs.
- Experience in a multicultural work environment.
- Experience living and working in Japan.
- Experience working with or researching U.S. policy, particularly in the Southeast region.
- Japanese language skills are a plus, but not required.
Job Type: FULL TIME Working Hours: Monday to Friday 09:00 - 17:00 (1-hour lunch break)
+ Occasional paid overtime on weekends
Working Location: Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta
(3438 Peachtree Road NE, Phipps Tower Suite #850, Atlanta, GA 30326)
Expected Start Date: December 2022 (TBD)
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Screening will begin, and will continue until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta is not providing internships at this time. We will not accept unsolicited resumes sent without reference to an open position.