*As of April 3rd, The window service hours will be changed as follows:
9:15am - 12:30pm & 1:30pm - 4:15pm
*An appointment is strongly recommended for drop-off the visa application or pick up the passport and pay the fees. Please click here for scheduling an appointment online.
Who needs a visa?
Foreign nationals who are required to obtain a visa.
*The Visa Waiver Program applies based on your nationality, NOT on your U.S. residence status (including green card).
|Types of Travel||Visa Requirements|
|Non-U.S. Citizens||Visa Exemption Countries and Regions (List)||
|Non-Visa Exemption Countries and Regions||Required|
NOTICE: Due to the large volume of inquiries we receive by email and phone call, the response from us may take longer than usual.
General Rules for Visas
- The Consulate General of Japan only accepts visa applications and visa inquiries from residents of Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, or South Carolina.
Please click here if you do not live in one of the above US states.
- In principle, visa applicants should apply for a visa in person. However, applicants within our jurisdiction can apply for a visa by mail. Please see "Applying By Mail" under "Applying for a Visa" below for more details.
- Applicants may designate a proxy. To authorize a proxy for application drop off/pickup, the applicant MUST fill out this authorization form and have the proxy submit the original form to the Consulate along with their ID card (electronic signatures are invalid).
- We do not accept any applications from U.S. B-1 and B-2 visa holders.
- Applicant's passport must have at least 1.5 blank visa pages left.
- No 6 months rules. As long as your passport is valid during the time of your stay in Japan, it should not be a problem.
- Please do NOT staple the visa application documents.
- Please note that we will keep passports while processing visa applications.
Type of Visas and Visa Application Documents
- Please click on the applicable box below to see application documents on each visa.
- If you intend to stay in Japan more than 90 days, please click on the "COE Holders" box.
- After March 27, 2023, the online application for a short-term tourism visa (single entry only, and only for the purpose of tourism) is available. For more information, please click on the “Short-term Tourism/Business/Study” box below.
|Type of Visa||Validity||Note|
|Single Entry||3 months||You must enter Japan within this time frame. We will not accept any visa applications more than 3 months before your departure date.|
|Double-Entry Transit||4 months||It can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip.|
|Double-Entry||6 months||It can be used twice.|
|Multiple Entry||1 to 5 years depending on the visa||Multiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with. Maximum stay at a time is decided as either 30 days or 90 days depending on the visa.|
Applying for a Visa
Consular Section has modified several operations and services.
- Visitors will be subject to a thermal imaging check at the entry of the consulate. Those with a fever will not be allowed to enter the Consulate.
- Visa Application drop-off & Passport Pick-up: 9:15am to 12:30pm / 1:30pm to 4:15pm
(An appointment will be required after April 3rd, 2023. Please click here for scheduling an appointment online.)
- All other Consular Services: Appointment required. Please contact the Consular Department at (404) 240 4300 or at email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Extension for Japanese Visa or Extention of Re-entry Permit services: 3031
- Extension for Japanese Passport services: 3033
- Extension for Japanese Citizenship services: 3032
- Extension for Other Documentation services: 3029 / 3032
We are anticipating longer than usual wait times at the consular office. Longer wait times are also expected when contacting us by phone or email, therefore, please also consider contacting the Japan Visa Information Hotline (available 24/7) if your visa-related matter is urgent.
Applying by Mail
In addition to your visa application documents, if applying by mail, please also include the following:
- Release of Liability Form
- Proof of Residence (such as copy of Applicant's Driver's License/ID card or utility bill etc. showing current address)
- A pre-paid self-addressed for Certified, Priority, and Express Mail (USPS) or a prepaid mailing label with an envelope for UPS Express must be submitted for return.
(*Your name and address must be both sender and recipient on the return envelope.)
ATTN: Visa Section
Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta
Phipps Tower, Suite 850
3438 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30326
NOTE: We only ship to addresses within our jurisdiction (Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina). The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta is not responsible for your passport in case of its loss when sending through the mailing service for return.
In general, it takes 5 business days to issue a visa. We do NOT have expedited services.
*The Consulate recommends applying for a visa 1.5 months prior to your departure date, but no earlier than 3 months prior to your departure.
*US citizens are exempt from visa fees.
* We accept CASH only (Please prepare cash in the exact amount). We DO NOT accept personal checks and credit cards.