Visa (COE holders)
This page is for person(s) visiting Japan for work, study, cultural activities, or as a dependent (spouse or child: excludes spouse or child of aliens residing in Japan with the status of “trainee” or “student”).
This information ONLY applies for applicants who have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). If you are a dependent of a Japanese national or a permanent resident without COE, please refer to this page.
What is a Certificate of Eligibility?
A Certificate of Eligibility is a document that verifies the activity in which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan. Having this document reduces the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures when a foreign national's work or long-term stay are for one of the following purposes:
The application for a Certificate of Eligibility is made by your sponsor in Japan at the nearest regional immigration authority to his/her place of residence. Employers or schools as well as relatives could become your sponsors.
Once the Certificate of Eligibility reaches you by way of your sponsor in Japan, you are ready to apply for a visa. The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta highly recommends obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) before applying for a visa. Contact the Immigration Services Agency of Japan to obtain a COE. Obtaining a COE takes 1 to 3 months.
- You MUST enter Japan within 3 months of the designated day on your Certificate of Eligibility, regardless of any time limits noted on the actual visa you receive.
- If you have a valid Japanese Visa on your passport at the time you apply for a new Japanese visa (For example, when you apply for a work visa, but you have a student visa which is still valid), please submit a request statement (in any format) for visa cancellation.
*For further information about COE, please see: Application for issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility
*For Highly Skilled Professional Visas, please see: Highly Skilled Professional Visa
- The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta reserves the right to request additional documents if deemed necessary.
- The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta will not make copies.
- Please do NOT staple or fold any document.
|Visa Application Form
with at least 1.5 blank pages left
|One 2”x 2” Photo
must be taken in front of a plain background and within the past 6 months
|U.S. Visa or Permanent Residen Card for Non-U.S. Citizen
Please note: The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta does NOT accept any applications from B-1 and B-2 U.S. visa holders.
|Original & 1 Copy
|Proof of Residency
e.g., Driver’s license card, State ID card, or Utility Bill
|Certificate of Eligibility
*If COE is issued on or after March 17, 2023, you only need to submit a copy of your digital COE.
|Original or 1 Copy
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS FOR ENTERTAINERS (U.S. CITIZENS ONLY)
|Contract or Documents certifying the activity, its duration, the position, and the remuneration of the applicant, (e.g. a copy of a contract)
|Original & 1 Copy